Flap Box Tutorial
One Piece of 12x12 PaperBone FolderAdhesiveEmbellishments as desired
1. Cut paper into an 8x8 square. Save the leftover 4x12 piece.
2. Fold paper in half. Use bone folder to make a good clean crease.
3. After folding, open paper up and fold in half the other way.
You should have four equal squares when this is done.
4. Fold each corner up to the center and crease with bone folder.
5. When you have done all four corners, your paper should look like this photo.
6. Now fold the closed paper up to the middle point. Use the middle and the sides as your guide. The thicker your paper is, the harder this step will be as you are folding up a few layers of paper at this point. After folding, open your paper back up.
7. Do this on all four sides and open back up, your paper should look like this.
8. Open up two opposite sides. Like photo above.
9. Lift up the other two opposite sides and turn the paper to face this way.
10.Push the points of the paper sides in where creases already exist. Doing this will make the open point want to go up.
11. This will create one of the sides and the paper will fold over and then down into the box bottom.
12. The "point" will fold out to create another equal point on the bottom.
13. Now do the other side.
14. Once again, pushing the side creases in will make the flap go up.
15. Fold over and down into the bottom of the box.
16. Use bone folder to make good clean creases.
17. If done correctly, you will need just a very small amount of adhesives to keep the bottom points down. The box folds in such a way that adhesives on the sides are not necessary.
This is your completed box. Set it aside.
Instructions for the Flap
Cut your 4"x12" piece of paper to 4"x 8.5"
Score your 4"x8.5" paper at 3.5". Then turn it and score again at 3.5"
Adhere bottom of box to bottom of flap.
Adhere side of box to side of paper flap.
Your box construction is complete. Now just decorate and add goodies as desired!
Here is the same box with a lid.
Instructions for creating a lid
Flip the box over and measure the bottom. If the box bottom measures 3 x 3 then you will need to start with a piece of paper that is 6x6 for the top.
Begin by folding the square in the same way that you do to create the box see 1-5 then stop.
Now take the peak of your fold and fold it down to the edge of your outside fold. See photo below. Do this on all four sides.