Monday, March 21, 2016

Love You to the Core Card by Kim

Kim from Katydid Cards here to share my second project of the month for Paper Crafting World using a theme of Green or Gold...my project today has a little of both.



Did you ever make a card and, for no particular reason, you just love how it came together?  That's how I feel about this card.  It's simple, but I just think it's a real eye catcher...even if I do say so myself.

The beautiful focal image for this card was created using the Apple Layered cut file.  I had layers of card stock in my mind's eye and this file fit the bill perfectly.  It was a difficult choice, though, because there are so many nice apple files in the store.

First I re-sized the apple to the appropriate size for my card.  To do this, I created a 4" x 5 1/4" panel and inserted my greeting and then inserted the apple, reducing it to fit.



To create the top layer, I wanted the largest size of the apple, but I also wanted the stem and leaf, so I simply welded the two in my Silhouette and had exactly what I needed.  Here's what I mean:




So now I have my top layer, but I still keep everything in place as I continue to build my layers so all the layers remain aligned.  I am showing you this first layer separated as it will look when I print and cut it, but remember I didn't separate them until all the layers were completed.



I omitted the second layer of the cut file for this particular card as I wanted the middle (golden-yellow) layer to be larger.  I did an internal offset of my first rectangle to create a slightly smaller 3 7/8" x 5 1/8" panel, grouped the apple image and the rectangle and cut this from Real Red card stock.



For my third layer, I duplicated and reduced the size of the middle layer apple to just larger than the seeds.  I created a smaller, 3 3/4" x 5" rectangle, grouped the apple outline and the rectangle then imported digital patterned paper from the Pick Me Collection by Sweet Shoppe Designs.  Clear as mud, right?  Hopefully the pictures will give some clarity to my explanation.




Before I did any assembly, I cut the leaf flourish (that flourish is so pretty, I can see using that on other cards as well) and two of the individual leaves (one which will be used inside the card) from Cucumber Crush.  And, finally, the seeds from a scrap of textured brown card stock.




Then I assembled the card on a Whisper White card base.  I attached each layer with double-sided mounting tape, aligning each in the center of the card.  When I got the three layers placed, I added the seeds, leaf and flourish.




Almost done...I just want to tell you about the inside of the card.  When I created the top layer for the card front.  I duplicated it and converted the apple's cut line to a print line.  I made the line bolder and inserted my sentiment inside.  I attached that remaining leaf and layered it on a slighter larger rectangle of the same yellow from the front.  I always like to bring some element from the front of the card to the inside (and the envelope as well, for that matter) for continuity.




And here's a closer view of the sentiment.  I used the Maximum font to create both the greeting and sentiment.


I'll see you next month with another Paper Crafting World project.  In the meantime, if you'd like to check out the store, just click here.  And be sure to take advantage of the 50% off if you spend $10.00.  Have you entered the monthly challenge yet? 

Discover Creative Freedom 300x250

Don't Forget To Sign Up For My Newsletter To Receive
The Subscriber Only FREEBIES and other exclusive info!




4 comments:

  1. This is truly an eye catcher. It's just such a fun and fabulous card with a great tutorial.
    Hugs,
    Larelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I love the way it is layered and never thought to do that to an image. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your card is so cute! Thank you for sharing me how to make it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin