Monday, March 14, 2016

Paper Crafting World and a Frog

Hello there!  
I’m Kim from Katydid Cards and I'm so excited to become the newest member of Paper Crafting World's Design Team.  I’ll be visiting you here twice a month and sharing a project made with one of PCW’s incredible cut files here and on my blog as well. 
Those of you who are followers know there is a theme each month and this month's theme is to use green or gold.  Since St. Patrick's Day is just a few days away it was easy to decide to use green for my frog.  Frog, you ask?  What does a frog have to do with St. Patrick's Day?  Well, I'll tell you!  Actually I'll show you a little farther down the post and then you'll say, "Okay, I get it now".  At least that's my hope.
So here's my card made using the Card-Scalloped Oval and that adorable frog is part of the Bear w/ Frogs set.  I enlarged the card to 4 3/4" high being careful to maintain the proportions on all pieces.  Once I did that, I placed the frog in front and sized him to what worked with that smallest oval.


Look at all the luscious layers to this card's cut file.  It gave me lots of opportunity to match the digital patterned paper, Green Shamrocks from Digital Card Fun. I'm a glutton for punishment, though, and decided to change the colors of the shamrocks in the paper from green, green and green to several shades of green, purple and yellow with the help of Photoshop...I just wanted to do justice to those layers!

So now I was able to incorporate Concord Crush, Garden Green and Summer Sun in addition to the patterned paper.  Because I wasn't crazy enough changing all the colors in the digital paper, I imported it into Silhouette and traced around each shamrock so the oval behind the frog so it was less busy...I did the same thing on the inside and three days later I was done.  Only kidding, it just seemed like it took that long.
I then concentrated on my frog.  I sponged all the edges of his body to give him dimension.  I cut his belly from Green Galore card stock and embossed it with the Square Lattice embossing folder.  I cut his eyes from Whisper White and Basic Black, his mouth from the black as well.  I used this frog in another card some time ago.  You can see it here.  I mention this other card because the frog was smaller, thus the eyes and mouth were too tiny for me to work with easily so I changed the black in his eyes to print only over the white and then just cut the white.  For his mouth, I cut the mouth from his body and then backed it with black.  Finally, I attached him with an Action Wobble Spring so he can dance around the card....I think he might be doing the Irish jig.


Now let’s take a look at the inside.  Again, I used the shamrock outlines to print and cut the largest oval from the card and printed the sentiment using the AlwaysHere font, color matched to the purple, on the smaller oval.  I sponged the edges of the smaller ovals with the purple and attached them to the larger ovals.


And here's where you finally find out what the heck a frog and St. Patrick's Day have in common:


And here's the other side of the card.  I grouped all the pieces of the frog, shrunk it down and changed it from a cut file to print only on my sentiment panel.  I makes for a cute embellishment as well as ties in the frog on the front.  Now that's a heartfelt Irish blessing for you!


I'll be back again next week to share another Paper Crafting World project.  In the meantime, if you'd like to check out their store, just click here and be sure to take advantage of the 50% off if you spend $10.00.










5 comments:

  1. Fabulous project and such a wonderful tutorial. So much work went into this very special card.
    Hugs,
    Larelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable card!! Clever to only use part of a file. I love all the layers! Welcome to the team!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your frog card is so adorable! I love it!! I am so happy that you joined the team! I always love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute!!! Love all the layers!! Love the 3d effect of the frog! Welcome to the team!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin