Monday, April 18, 2016

Cute Boots By Kim

 Hi there!

It's Kim from Katydid Cards today and I'm eager to share my project with you this month.  The theme for the month is water/rain or blue...so I did a bit of both!

So I'll show you my card first and then I'll tell you a bit about it just in case you're interested in how it came together.


Doesn't she just put a smile on your face?  She was made using the Bear with Rain Gear cut file.  There are several cute bears with water of some sort so it was a difficult decision, but I opted for her in the end.  A bear this cute needed a special card base, so I tried a little experiment with creating a shaped front around the bear.

Here's how I did it in Silhouette.  There may be other, better ways to accomplish this, but it worked for me; so I'm sharing it with you:

First, I made an outline of my card base 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" with a dashed line down the center representing the score mark.  Then I took all the pieces of the bear and made a compound path and situated her exactly where I wanted her on the card.  I colored her in just so you could see her on the card more easily.

Project 1

Next, I created a 1/8" offset as I wanted a bit of card beyond her on the right.  I colored the offset in red, again just to make it stand out.

Project 2

I removed the bear, leaving just the offset.  I tried a number of different ways to accomplish what I wanted; most didn't work the way I intended.  In the end, I selected the card base and the offset and "divided" the image.

Project 3

Once I divided the image, I was able to take away the parts I didn't want (the space to the right of the bear and the tiny bits above and below the edges of the card).

Project 4

Once these unnecessary pieces were removed, I selected everything remaining and welded it and I got the shape I wanted.  I moved the bear back so you can see how she'll fit when I cut and place her.

Project 6

Next, I concentrated on the little bear.  I filled all her rain gear with digital patterned papers from the After The Rain kit from Sweet Shoppe Designs.  Then I cut her body, facial parts and umbrella handle from scraps I had on hand.  I placed them on the Whisper White base and decided the background was too plain.

So back to the card base I went.  I still kept the Whisper White base, but using the same shaped base, I created a topper, filled with more patterned paper from the same kit.  I printed it on copy paper as I didn't want to add a lot of additional weight or bulk to the front.  Also, I'm not fond of the way the paper can pull away from the folded side, so I kept the perforation and extended the paper about 1/2", wrapped it around the back and secured it with double-sided tape.  Here are a few pictures to try to help you make sense of what I just said.

Front

Above is what the cut file looked like and below is what I was referring to when I said I wrapped it around the back of the card...nice and secure.





So now that the front of my card was covered with the patterned paper, I attached my little bear after sponging the edges of everything to add dimension.  I also like to cover the white edges of images printed on white paper.  I cut the rain drops and the puddle from Baja Breeze as it was a great match for the patterned paper.  I attached the umbrella with dimensionals and the rain drops with glue dots.  I added the puddle to the bottom of the card under her boots and tucked the splashes behind them.  I covered each rain drop, the puddle and splashes with Wink of Stella.



As I always try to do, I brought an element from the front of the card to the inside to tie everything together.  On this particular card, I used her boots, converting them to print only and I placed several rain drops so they can be seen from the front when the card is closed.  The sentiment was one I have in a stamp set, but I elected to type it instead using the AlwaysHere font and I color matched it to the purple on the in her rain gear.



I made this as a card to send when someone needs a bit of support, but I like the way it turned out so much I'd like to use it for other occasions as well...do you have any ideas for me? Be sure to stop by my blog to see more of my crafty goodness.

I'll see you next week with another card.  In the meantime, if you want to check out the store, just click here and don't forget to take advantage of the 50% off if you spend $10.00.  Until the next time,


Discover Creative Freedom 300x250

Don't Forget To Sign Up For My Newsletter To Receive
The Subscriber Only FREEBIES and other exclusive info!



5 comments:

  1. great card! love the tutorial!
    The cut out edge is fabulous and I love the polka dots

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelli! Aren't those polka dots just perfect for her? I never looked that cute walking in the rain...just wet!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE how you made this a shape card. It's just so darn cute! I've colored the digital version of this image - it's such a great file.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shaped card was fun to make! I look forward to doing that with more PCW files. Heck, Melin does all the work for us so I have extra time to spend on things like shaped edges. I can't wait to work with her again...she was so fun!

      Delete
  3. Love the shape!! Very clever! She's cute alright right down to those boots!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin