Monday, May 16, 2016

Full Bloom Card by Kim

Hello everyone!  It's Kim from Katydid Cards again, sharing my second card this month.  I'm having such a great time working with the PCW files...this DT position was like a gift!  I could go on an on about them, but lets take a look at this week's card first, shall we?




I really like the Large Daisy Cut File, so that was my starting point.  I could have just placed it on the front of a card or on a decorative mat and that would have been lovely, but that is so not me.  Instead I created a peek-a-boo opening around the flower and I think it showcases the daisy quite nicely.  There may be other ways to create the opening, but I'll show you how I did it and you can tell me if you know of a better alternative.

I knew I wanted a 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" or A2 card, so I created my rectangle in Silhouette to start designing my card base.  Then I inserted a 4 1/4" x 2" rectangle on the right side.  So that looks like this (I filled it with color so you could see it better):



Next I brought in the Large Daisy and pulled it over the opening and, as you can see, I needed to reduce the size of the daisy.  Here you see before the re-sizing:


And after:



Once I got the daisy to the size I wanted, I then traced it and then positioned it exactly where I wanted it over the opening:


And then I welded the two:


I didn't like the look of the stem dangling at the bottom so I added a slight curve and liked the look so I added it to the top as well:


Then I cut the daisy, itself, using Stampin' Up's Cucumber Crush on the stem, Watermelon Wonder for the flower, Delightful Dijon for the flower center.  I cut the outline from Basic Black.  The way PCW designed the flower, the petals are one solid piece which fits under the black outline so it's a wonderfully easy way to give the look of individual pieces without all the fitting.  If you wanted to fit the pieces, though, to provide an inlaid look, you certainly could.  I tried it as an experiment, but found it looks just as nice, nicer really, without piecing it.  I did emboss the flower center with the Square Lattice embossing folder.  Here's a close-up of the flower:


As a background to the flower, I used a digital paper called aged dots on cream.  Using my photo editing program, I color-matched the dots to the flower.  I imported that into my Silhouette and created an insert for the card...so it's folded and placed inside, attached on the back.  I left the inside black as I plan on using this as a note card.  This is what the insert looks like in my Silhouette design screen:




The double pennant is from the I Heart You Card I used previously and I liked that pennant so much, I wanted to use it again.  I cut the lower pennant from the Delightful Dijon and embossed it with the same embossing folder.  I printed the greeting using the AR Julian font and color matched it to the card stock.  For the word "bloom", I colored the inside with Watermelon Wonder and the lines in Cucumber Crush for a nice contrast.


I'll be visiting again next month and I'm already looking forward to it.  If there's something you'd like to see in a future post, please let me know in the comments section.  And if you have the chance, please come and visit me at Katydid Cards to say hello!



Discover Creative Freedom 300x250

Don't Forget To Sign Up For My Newsletter To Receive
The Subscriber Only FREEBIES and other exclusive info!




5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelli! By the way, I love that picture of you...you look like such a happy person...fun to be with!

      Delete
  2. Really awesome! Love the pek a boo and those colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie, for taking the time to comment!

      Delete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin