Monday, June 6, 2016

Big Shoes Card by Kim

Hi there.  It's Kim from Katydid Cards...happy to be with you today.

Our theme this month is Dads and Grads.  Very timely since almost every family is celebrating Father’s Day or Graduation, or both.

Today my focus is on the Dads in our lives.  Last year on my blog, I shared how Father’s Day came to be in this post, if you’d like to know how the celebration of fathers and father figures originated.

And here’s my card, featuring the adorable QT Patootie Boy in Dad’s Clothes.  Perfect for a Father’s Day card, don’t you think?



I decided I wanted to make a shadow box card for this image and I’m glad I did because it showcases this image perfectly.  I got the cut file, but then decided I would convert it to print only as I didn’t want to create too many layers inside the shadow box.  I love the flexibility you get with these files.

Let me tell you a bit about how I made the card worthy of this cute l’il fella.  I decided I wanted to make a larger 5″ x 7″ so I could keep the image a nice size.  It’s easy to make it into a shadow box by placing a perforated line (or scoring with a bone folder) at 1/2″ and 1″ in from each side.

You1
I wanted to do something a little different with the edges as I thought it looked rather plain.  As the postage stamp “look” is so popular these days, I opted for that.  This is how I accomplished it in the Silhouette Cameo Designer Edition, though there may be other, better ways of doing it…if you know of one, please share.

I created a series of circles, centered them on each edge and spaced them evenly, top to bottom.

You3
Once I had them positioned the way I wanted, I selected subtract from the Modify window.

You4

And this is the end result.  I added the image to the center and sent it to print and cut on Whisper White card stock.

You6

To create the front piece, I simply copied the piece I made for the back and centered the image.  Once centered, I did an offset of .25.  I cut the front piece from Basic Gray card stock.

You9
While I was still in the Offset window, I did another offset (of the offset) of .125 to create the band I have around the opening.  I cut the band from Basic Black.
You10
I used a digital patterned paper for  the front panel and cut the same opening from that.  I also reduced the pattern and cut the tie (3 pieces) from that.  I took the colors cues from the paper to color QT’s suit and hair.


I added an appropriate greeting, also color coordinated to the digital paper just to add a little embellishment to the front.


 For the back, I wanted to create a sentiment to play off the image.  This is what I decided upon, using the Andy font and printing it in black.  I also used the shoes from the image in the corner to bring the point home about the shoes.  I layered it on a slightly larger mat of the same dark gray I used on the front.


If you haven’t made a shadowbox card previously, this is what it looks like open (looking down from the top); however, it folds flat for mailing.  It’s a great way to add impact to a card without a lot of work.  If you don’t have an e-cutter, you could still make a shadow box by creating an opening with a die or punch.


You might want to pop on over to the store to check out the fabulous files.  Some are on sale and  there’s a 50% discount on orders over $10.00…that’s HALF PRICE!


Please do go over to the shop and check out the gorgeous cards and other cutting files available from Paper Crafting World. Don't forget about our every day 50% off code too!




Discover Creative Freedom 300x250

Don't Forget To Sign Up For My Newsletter To Receive
The Subscriber Only FREEBIES and other exclusive info!




4 comments:

  1. So, so adorable!!! I had forgotten about this fold, used it many years ago and love it. Thanks for a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so super cute! love it - the inside is cute too!
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Larelyn and Kelli, so nice of you to stop by and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! Love that effect! You always make the cutest cards!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin