Monday, June 20, 2016

WHOOray

Hi, it's Kim from Katydid Cards and it's my day to share a project.  This time it's in honor of all the graduates who are now as wise as an owl...this owl, for example!  This card uses the Owl Graduate CF and the WHOOray Your Day Owl DSb.


I decided to turn this owl into what I'm calling a Pop-Out card (though I'm not sure that's the official name of this particular card fold).  It was pretty easy to create in my Silhouette Cameo Designer Edition.  Let me tell you a bit about it before I get back to the star of the show, Mr. Owl.

To start, I created a rectangle 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" and placed a perforated line 2 1/8" and 3 3/16" in from each side.  This will fold to be a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" card.  So it should look like this....for now.

Owl4

Next, I moved my my totally assembled owl image to the center of the card base and traced him just around the outside edge.  I removed the image, but left the trace and then selected divide in the Modify window..
Owl1
Selecting divide allows me to remove specific pieces, leaving cut lines only to the outside the middle two perforations.  The final step is to remove the perforations from between the cut lines on each side.  I didn't make an image of this; but I just copied the perforation, pasted in front, and then shortened each copy to the areas I mentioned.
Owl2
I wanted patterned paper mats to help showcase my owl, so I created an internal offset to create them.

Owl5

To create my owl, I used card stock to match the patterned paper and then attached him in the center.  I colored the tassel and medallion on the diploma with gold leaf pen for some sparkle.  Here are a few more pictures:




I did a mirror image of the owl and converted the individual pieces to print only, cutting only the outside edge, but before doing that, I removed the diploma and used the sign from the WHOOray Owl and placed that on my owl.  I did a mirror image on the inner mats as well since my owl was reversed, they had to be as well.  I left the outer panels blank for a personal message, but they could be used for a sentiment or even more patterned mats.  Here are a few pictures of the back.





And that's a wrap except to share a tidbit of information about the wise old owl.  I'm not really sure how the phrase originated, but a little research reveals the owl is pretty much a "bird brain".  Certainly not trainable; like parrots, for example.  Here's a list of ten of the world's smartest birds...the owl is not among them.  Maybe it's those piercing eyes that make us think of the owl as smart.

Anyway, congratulations to all the graduates this month.  Now go out and conquer the world!  And, after you're done, come visit me at Katydid Cards to say hello.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin