Monday, July 4, 2016

Celebrate the 4th of July Card by Kim


Hi!  It's Kim from Katydid Cards and it's my day to share a project at Paper Crafting World.  One of the themes this month is patriotic, and since you don't get much more patriotic than the 4th of July, my card is in celebration of that, chock-full of the red, white and blue (and yellow, too).  Let me show you my card first and then I'll share some details:


I took an on-line class a bit ago and one of the lessons involved using glitter on acetate with the help of double-sided adhesive paper and I've been wanting to try it.  I spied this intricate Star Paper Lace cut file and thought it would be perfect for trying this technique.  I resized the cut file to what I needed for the opening in the card and cut it using double-sided adhesive which I attached to acetate.  I used Be Creative brand adhesive sheets and cut it with the brown release paper facing up and set my Silhouette to "kiss cut" the adhesive paper, which cuts through the release paper but not the adhesive or acetate.  Once the cut was done, I selectively removed sections of the release paper and sprinkled glitter in the openings being sure to burnish it down well with my finger.  I applied the yellow glitter first, then the red and then the blue.  Here's a
closer view of the glitter:



I cut the opening in the front of the card and also into a 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" panel and layered the glittered acetate in between them...this way the light shines through the glitter.  In case that's not clear, this is how I cut the card.  The four small holes are the markers I made for the eyelets I used...gosh, I haven't used an eyelet in so long!

Rockets

I made the label to fit below and borrowed the line from The Star Spangled Banner as my greeting as this image reminded me of it.  Here's how I made the label.  I made each component a different color, so you can see what pieces I combined and welded to make the final product:

Rockets 2

I did an offset of my label to make three mats in colors to accentuate the glitter and attached it alternating adhesive and dimensionals on the layers.  To finish it off, I inserted four eyelets at the corners of the focal image.  I actually had to look up the correct settings to use my Crop-a-Dile...there's a copy on my Hints, Tips & Tutorials page just it case it been that long since you used yours.  Since the inside is open as well, I made sure my ribbon was on both sides.  This is what the acetate side looks like:
 

For my sentiment, I continued with the lyrics from The Star Spangled Banner with a simple Happy 4th of July wish.  I used the Coventry Garden font on both the greeting and sentiment.  I thought a great accent for the sentiment would be the Flag Frame CF.  Here's what that looks like:


That wraps it up for this card.  I hope you like it and are inspired to try this technique.  By the way, if you seldom use glitter because it makes such an awful mess, here's a tip for you...buy Swiffer Dry Sweeping Cloths and run that over the glitter residue...it'll remove it all easily and quickly.

Stop by and come visit me at Katydid Cards if you get the chance. Until next time, crafty hugs



You might want to pop on over to the store to check out the fabulous files. Some are on sale and there’s a 50% discount on orders over $10.00…that’s HALF PRICE!




Discover Creative Freedom 300x250

Don't Forget To Sign Up For My Newsletter To Receive
The Subscriber Only FREEBIES and other exclusive info!



And don’t forget to check out our Facebook page!

2 comments:

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin