Friday, August 12, 2016

Summer

Hi everyone, it's Kim from Katydid Cards with you to share the first of two projects this month.    I have something really fun for you today and I hope you get a kick out of it...it makes me smile every time I look at it.   And it's perfect for the summer months.  I'll share my card first and then chat a bit about how it came together.



I made this using the Bear with Floatie cut file.  To start, I arranged all the pieces the way I wanted them and then traced around the outer edge to provide myself with a solid base on which to attach everything.  I cut the bear's body from Soft Suede, the floatie and mats from So Saffron, his muzzle from Very Vanilla.  I turned the nose and eyes into a print and cut.  I used blue for the card base.  The border pieces were cut from Whisper White and Cherry Cobbler.  All card stock is Stampin' Up except for the base, which is Bazzil.

To make the floatie look more realistic, I heat embossed it with Clear Embossing Powder.  I embossed it three times to make it nice and thick.  One thing I forgot to do before photographing was to coat the eyes and nose with a clear glaze pen and highlight it with a Sakura White Jelly Roll pen.  I will go back and to that as it really brings the face to life.  Looking at the picture, I think he also needs a smile on his face.



A bear this cute deserves his own swimming pool, so that's exactly what I made for him!  And he's having a grand old time bobbing around!  Here's another look at the "water" which I made following a tutorial for gel cards. Basically, all you need to do is place gel (I actually used Dawn dish detergent as I wanted a deep blue color) in a plastic bag that will seal really well or you will have quite  a mess on your hands.  I attached it to the card base with double-sided tape and then placed the border over it with mounting tape.  I actually triple layered the Whisper White to provide more support around the gel.  Even with all that, I still don't think this is a card I would want to send through the mail...it's fragile and heavy!


 Here's another thing I would have done.  To digress, do you ever do this with your cards and projects; continue to think of things you should have, would have, could have done?  Anyway, I would have used this cut file instead.  It's new in the store, so wasn't available when I made my selection.  I think the bear would look so cute wearing those goggles and the beach ball would be a great companion piece.  Well, I'll just have to make another card using these new bears.

Here's the inside of the card with a cute summertime sentiment.  Both the greeting and sentiment were typed using Atlas of the Magi font and color matched to Cherry Cobbler.



That's it for this card.  I'll be posting later in the month with another card which I'm working on now.  These files are a lot of fun.  If you want to take a look at them, here's the link to the store.





2 comments:

Thank you for taking a moment to comment. It is truly appreciated. Please be sure to head over to our
Facebook Page: PCW On Facebook
And Don't Forget To Stop By The Shop: PaperCraftingWorld.com
-Melin